How to treat vocal cords with loss of voice?
The first thing that you should understand for yourself is how, in case of any disease, treatment started on time after a cold will lead to recovery much faster. Therefore, as soon as you feel the first symptoms, we advise you to immediately take a set of measures aimed at treating the vocal cords.
The second – it is necessary to exclude the loss of voice due to reasons not related to the disease of the ligaments, for example, pathology of the nervous system, accompanied by a violation of the innervation of the larynx and throat. Usually these are serious reasons requiring a serious medical approach, and often surgery.
Cold. Due to hypothermia or viral infection, the vocal cords become inflamed and swollen, resulting in loss of voice. Edema can also be the result of an allergic reaction, for example, to dust during cleaning, to the hair of pets.
Overstrain of the ligaments leads to a long conversation or professional work with lawyers, teachers, singers. Deterioration occurs in wet, autumn weather and the beginning of the heating season indoors. Vocalists eventually develop special growths called ligamentous nodules on the ligaments. They require surgery and removal in order to maintain professional performance.
The voice may disappear due to psycho-emotional shock. In this case, the help of a psychologist or psychotherapist will be invaluable.
“Smoking, including passive smoking, causes a special chronic form of laryngitis, which is accompanied by constant hoarseness.”
This group of reasons can be attributed to the abuse of seeds, carbonated drinks. Some drugs dry the throat.
Treatment and prevention
It is very important to catch the moment when the voice is just beginning to disappear or a sensation appears that the ligaments are overstrained. It is at this moment that you need to tell yourself stop and begin to take active measures to restore voice.
If the problem is still ripe, then there are several ways to treat the disease:
1. Turn to medical professionals – an otolaryngologist or a narrower specialist – a phoniatrist.
2. Use the available means of traditional medicine.
Whatever the source of voice impairment, always observe the following rules:
1. Limit the load on the voice unit! If you need to talk, do it in a low, low voice, but not in a whisper.
2. Increase the amount of fluid you drink – this will reduce dryness in the larynx and swelling. Herbal teas with honey and lemon are very useful, but be careful if you are allergic. Mulled wines are the only drinks containing alcohol that may be on the recommended list. Use in small sips.
3. A tired organism and throat, including life, returns protein. Drink broths, eat lean meat. Fruits and vegetables will saturate the body with vitamins and strengthen immunity after a cold.
4. You can gargle with infusions of sage, chamomile and calendula. These are good antiseptics that will remove inflammation.
5. Humidify the air in the room. It is better to buy a special device. You can also place wet towels on hot batteries.
6. Stop smoking! Definitely and irrevocably. By this we will help not only the voice, but the whole body.
7. Before performances, it is better not to bite seeds, crackers and not drink carbonated drinks with dyes.
8. Chocolate causes an unpleasant sore throat.
9. If the cause is stress, then various techniques of relaxation and psychological unloading will help to cope. If you feel that you can’t do it, consult a professional for advice.
10. After silence, it is impossible to give a sharp load to the vocal apparatus. First you need a little chant.
11. You should never sing immediately after waking up. After a minimum of 2 hours.
12. The healing power of the sea breeze. Fedor Chaliapin performed the most famous arias on the Black Sea coast.
A few simple exercises will help rehabilitate the ligaments, even if you are an unprofessional vocalist. Perform them daily 3-5 times, not forgetting folk remedies and sea buckthorn oil. Follow the basic rules for a healthy voice. Basic exercises:
1. “Dogs.” We saw how four-legged friends behave in the heat. We stick out our tongue and breathe, like animals “stomach”.
2. “Blow on the candle.” At a distance of 10 cm, blow on the candle, as if we want to extinguish it.
3. Turn your head, make sounds as if you were rinsing your throat, while making head movements from side to side.
4. We take a deep breath, exhaling, mooing and tapping our fingers on the nostrils.
5. The same thing, only knocking on the nasolabial folds.
These are simple exercises that will help strengthen and stabilize the vocal apparatus. Special exercises designed for professional performers and announcers are best performed under the guidance of a phoniatrist or vocal teacher.